Aadhaar Card contains a lot of biometric information which makes it a potential target for the hackers. The government has already taken a lot of measures to ensure that the details are not misused and in addition to this, the government has also handed the remote control in people’s hand to ensure that the people have a full control on their private information. The biometric data available in Aadhaar Database includes fingerprints and retain scan. The data can also be used for your quick verification. One of the most recent examples of this is the telecom companies which are using the Aadhaar Data for authentication of KYC while issuing a new Sim card. As mentioned earlier, the government has given a remote control to the people as well and it is possible for you to lock or unlock the biometric details on your Aadhaar card. We have listed the procedure for locking and unlocking the details on Aadhaar Card. Let us have a look at the complete procedure for the same.
Steps to enable disable Your Aadhaar Card Biometrics through Online Medium
- The first step of the procedure is to access the UIDAI website. You can navigate to the website by clicking here(https://resident.uidai.gov.in).
- Now from the top menu, you may click on the Biometric Link or you can also access the webpage for locking or unlocking the biometric details by visiting https://resident.uidai.gov.in/biometric-lock.
- You will now be prompted to enter you Aadhaar Number along with the Captcha Code. Once you have entered the Aadhaar Number and Security Code, you may click on the Send OTP button.
- An OTP will be generated and the OTP number will be shared on your mobile number. Enter the OTP in the designated space and click on the Validate OTP Button.
- Now you will get an option for enabling the Biometric Lock and if you click on enable biometric Locking then the biometric information on Aadhaar Card will be locked. Ensure that the enable box is checked before you click on Enable Biometric Locking.
- If you want to disable the locking on the Biometric Data then simply click on disable button. Your biometric information will be unlocked after you click on disable button.
- It is a simple 3 step process to lock or unlock the biometric information on your Aadhaar card.
It should be noted that once you have locked the biometric information, you can only authenticate any transaction or any KYC form with a combination of biometric information and OTP so if you walk into the bank for some task which requires Aadhaar Authentication then you would have to scan your fingerprint or Retina after which an OTP will be shared on your mobile. You may then share the OTP with the executive to authenticate the form.
It is surely advisable to lock your biometric details as it will offer you a two-step protection which is impossible to bypass by any unauthorized person.