Aadhaar Card is an important document which can be used as an ID proof or as an address proof. The advantage of the Aadhaar card is that the database is present in a central location and the authenticity of the Aadhaar Card can be checked by a service provider in nick of time. The Aadhaar Card can also be used by children, for example, an Aadhaar Card issued for a child can be used as an identification proof during the application procedure of the passport. The Aadhaar card can also be used by the parents of the child when they want to open a bank account for their child.
So if your child doesn’t have an Aadhaar Card and if you are planning to wait till he is old enough then probably you should stop waiting and you can go through this article to know more about the application procedure and the eligibility guidelines for the Aadhaar card application for children.
Eligibility Criteria for registration of Aadhaar Card for Children
There are no such eligibility criteria for children to apply for Aadhaar card but there are certain hurdles in the application procedure. One such hurdle is that the fingerprints and other biometric data of the child changes as he grows up and the data are never constant until the child is at least 5 years old. This was the huge trouble for the policy makers and hence the rules were modified as per the requirement.
Documents Required for Aadhaar Card for Children
The documents required for the application of Aadhaar Card are mentioned below
- The birth certificate of the child who is applying for Aadhaar Card
- The Aadhaar Number of the parents along with the address proof of the parents.
Application Procedure for Aadhaar Card for Children
The application procedure for Aadhaar Card for children is same as the application procedure for the adults. There are certain changes and these changes are mentioned below.
- The Aadhaar card can be issued for a child who is 1 year old or who is over 1 year old.
- The biometric data would not be recorded for a child who is below 5 years. This is because the fingerprint changes with time and that can be a major problem in the database. The Aadhaar card of the child is linked to the Aadhaar card of the parents.
- Once the child turns 5, the child would require to visit the Aadhaar enrolment center again and at that point of time, the photo will be taken and the biometric data would be recorded again.
- Once the child turns 15 years old, he would again have to visit the Aadhaar Enrolment Centre as he would again require giving biometric data. The photograph will also be added to the Aadhaar card.
- If in case, the parents do not hold an Aadhaar Card during the application process of the Aadhaar card of the children, they would have to apply first and the Aadhaar card of the child would be linked to the parents Aadhaar card with help of enrolment ID.