Aadhaar Card enrollment project started years ago and under the project, the government wanted to issue a unique 12 digit identification number to every citizen of India. There were many doubts about the feasibility and the usefulness of the project but soon the government proved everyone wrong. Today Aadhaar Card is the single most important document which every Indian should have. The concept of Aadhaar is basically taken from the United States of America where the government issues a social security number to each and every person.
In a recent move, the government of India made Aadhaar Card mandatory for having a bank account. If a person fails to link the Aadhaar card with the bank account until 30 April 2017, the account will be disabled and frozen. Hence everyone is now linking their Aadhaar card to the bank account. In such a case, it has become necessary for the NRIs as well to apply for an Aadhaar Card. In this article, we have described the eligibility guidelines to apply for Aadhaar card for the foreigners and the NRIs.
As mentioned by the government, the Aadhaar card is not a proof of citizenship and hence even foreigners can apply for the same. Also, as per the law, NRIs were not allowed to apply for Aadhaar Card but later the rules were changed and now everyone can apply for Aadhaar Card. Let us see that what is required for the application of the card.
Documents Required for Aadhaar Card Enrolment
Following documents are required for enrolment for Aadhaar Card –
- ID proof is required to be submitted by the person applying for Aadhaar card.
- Address Proof is also required for Aadhaar Card enrollment.
Eligibility for Applying for Aadhaar Card
The eligibility guidelines for the application of the Aadhaar Card is same for every citizen. There is no such special requirement for application of Aadhaar and hence any NRI can walk in and apply for the Aadhaar card. The only condition is that the person should be physically present at the time of Aadhaar enrolment.
Process for Application for Aadhaar Card
The process for application for Aadhaar Card for NRI and foreigner is same as for any other citizen. The steps pf the procedure is mentioned below
- The first step is to locate the nearest Aadhaar enrollment The applicant can find the nearest centre by navigating to www.uidai.gov.in.
- After locating the nearest enrollment centre, the person then needs to visit the centre and obtain an application form. The applicant now needs to fill the form completely.
- Once the form has been filled, the applicant can submit the form and the applicant should also enclose the ID proof and the address proof.
- Now, the applicant needs to give the Iris scan and the fingerprint scan. The photograph of the applicant would also be taken. Once the data has been submitted, an enrolment slip will be given to the applicant which can be used to track the status of the application.
- The Aadhaar card will then be delivered in 60 to 90 days.