Most of the Indian citizens know what an Aadhaar card is and the benefits of having an Aadhaar card. Today, the Government of India is implementing new features and services to minimize the use of paper documents. So, the UIDAI has provided options to the cardholders to download eAadhaar card and mAadhaar application on the phone. But with all such new features and updates, the risk of these documents getting misused is high. So, the government of India along with the UIDAI have launched a digital locker that enables the cardholder to secure the Aadhaar card and details online.
Here is the step by step procedure to set up a DigiLocker account and to link the Aadhaar card as well as store the Aadhaar card details.
Setting up DigiLocker account
- Step 1: Visit the official digital locker website https://digilocker.gov.in/
- Step 2: click the sign-up button on the homepage
- Step 3: Now the page will ask you to enter your mobile number, enter the mobile number and click “continue” button below
- Step 4: Now you will receive an OTP code on the mobile number provided, enter the OTP and click “verify” button below
- Step 5: Now the page redirects to another page with a fill-up form for username and password. Create a username and enter a strong password and press continue.
Now your DigiLocker account is set up.
Linking Aadhaar card with DigiLocker
- step 1: Once you have created the DigiLocker account, the page will ask you for your Aadhaar card number, enter the 12-digit card number
- step 2: Now you will receive an OTP on your Aadhaar registered mobile number, Enter the OTP and click verify button
- Step 3: If the entered details are correct, the Aadhaar card will be now stored in your DigiLocker account.
Downloading Aadhaar card through DigiLocker
- Step 1: Once you have linked your Aadhaar card with the DigiLocker, you will notice an issued documents option on the homepage.
- Step 2: Click the issued documents icon on the homepage under the heading “Your dashboard”
- Step 3: Now you will get a page with the heading “Issued Documents”, and you will notice “Aadhaar Card” tab with a save option on the right-hand side. Click this save option and the Aadhaar card will be downloaded and stored on your DigiLocker account.
Benefits of Aadhaar card linked DigiLocker
- Helps in securing the Aadhaar card and details
- Helps the user access the Aadhaar card and details from anywhere by just using DigiLocker username and password
- eSigning the documents is easy, and eSigned document is equal to self-attested documents
Things to remember before using DigiLocker
- your Aadhaar card should be registered with a mobile number
- When the DigiLocker prompts you to create a username and password, always keep in mind to create a strong password.
- Do not share the DigiLocker username and Password with any third parties.
Hope this article helped you.